Sunday, February 1, 2015

350 Block Count, Oh Scrap and RSC15 all in One Week

My goodness when I get going I really can stack up the blocks finished.  This past couple of weeks I completed 95 blocks!

I started cleaning up and got a few stray blocks ready for Sunshine Quilters Lotto, but my big push came from deciding to make string quilts. 

First I went to my stray strings drawer which isn't really very big, but I got this quilt from that with plenty of strings to spare!



The border was from a yard cut that I got in a mix of yard cuts from Craftsy.

It led me to the one sitting next to it on my shelf.  The stripe!  I love stripes because they are cool for borders--almost look like piano keys, but this stripe I haven't been able to use.  Then an idea dawned and I cut it into strips.  I noticed that it had grey in it and I had some leftovers from a project last October.  So this quilt top was spawned.  I just love how it turned out!



Then I went to a plastic shoe box that's been holding leftover batiks in blues and purples for at least three years.  So I got busy yesterday and made 24 blocks for this one.  I just finished sewing on the borders--5 strips of 3.5 inches to be exact and voila!  I have another donation quilt that fits specifications for size!
 I really need to chop some vegetables for salads for the week, but there are a couple of ideas for more string quilts I have lurking in my head.

My goal is to get my stash down to a movable size, in case we decide to downsize.  That could take me three years if a shoebox full of scraps makes one quilt!  I have three big quilt projects I want to work on as a reward for whittling my stash.  I think two or three more months and I'll be ready for that fun venture.

For now, I have 12 donation size tops for quilting. 

Two ideas in my head.

A sewing machine that needs tuning--and then I can get to the quilting of them all while I quilt.

Sounds like a plan for a Super Bowl Sunday!

Linking over to Prairie Moon Quilts for the Block Report
and Oh Scrap and RSC15

12 comments:

knitnkwilt said...

All three are great, but the pink and gray really catches my eye. I love how the stripes look like you pieced that row! AND if a shoe box of scraps makes only one quilt, I'm in big trouble.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

All just great string quilts, but OMG just love the pink and gray!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that pink and gray . . . and I am a total sucker for string quilts . . . your's are wonderful!!

Debbie said...

Wow...you have string-itis! Time to quilt....they all are great.

Shelly said...

You got a lot done! My favorite is that pink and gray one -- the way that stripe worked is wonderful!

The Quilting Elf said...

It's obvious that we all love the pink/grey with stripes! Stripes are so versatile - you saved this for just the right combo to appear in your stash. Love it!
Kathy T. in Tampa

KatieQ said...

Great string quilts! I love blue, so the last quilt really appeals to me.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Thank You...for the great idea of how to use my string blocks!!! Your reward to sharing great ideas should be to start another grand quilt.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I adore string quilts. And yours are in such happy colors! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Scrappy quilter said...

Love the string blocks.

Brenda said...

these are all lovely. Would you like to join our string quilt blog and post them over there? Check it out at http://stringthingalong.blogspot.com and leave a comment and I'll set you up.

Sheila said...

Wow! I love your string block quilts! Good idea using the stripes fabric.