Saturday, March 28, 2015

My Rant for the Day!

As I was binding a quilt yesterday, I found a tuck in the backing.  Darn.  Sometimes the fabric moves I swear!  I had it pinned, partially spray basted and still the tuck.  I somehow missed it, or I didn't even look at the back while I was quilting.

All my issues of what the computer has done to quilting came to a head!

I'm not a damned computer!

My quilting isn't measured, perfected or what has become "SHOW" quality.  My quilting is mostly for kids!  Kids don't notice.  Kids get a favorite quilt and they usually stick to that quilt.  Even when it gets worn.  But the quilts need to be inspected by adults before they even get to the kids!  Adults have values of how things should look and computerized quilting has even skewed that!  It's not that I don't love a beautiful quilt.  But, what have all these quilt shows done to quilting?  Has the bar been set so high by a computer that we have lost a sense of comfort from our quilts and our process?  I've wondered about that a lot!

So what are we as adults so concerned about?

My quilting is WONKY and I love it--but yesterday the love left.

Here is my two recent quilts.  Both from crumbs and both so totally different!
The green one, I sewed four blocks together to make a 12 inch block.
The yellow one I alternated the plain gold fabric with the crumbs.
The back of the gold one.

I can tack the tuck down and probably it won't be seen.  My rebellious side is coming out and I'll probably leave it as is and adopt this quilt.  I love the colors and I'll either keep it on the banister in the living room or put it in the car as a car quilt.

For now, I'm taking a rest from quilting.  I've again become possessed with the number of quilts getting to a completion stage; reducing my stash and just pushing myself.

I need more play time and I'm going to take it.  I've started a bundle of fabric I don't love anymore and will take it to the second hand store.  No shipping fees that way.  :-)  I'm not going to worry if I die with too much fabric!  My kids can just take what's left to the second hand store!

I'm going to quit worrying about kids across the ocean and start taking care of myself.

...wonder how long this rant will last!  :-)
 

7 comments:

KathyE said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. We are not perfect. I think when the quilt is washed, you'll never see the pucker. Enjoy the quilting for what it is, a chance to get away from the more mundane aspects of life, do what you love doing the most and be happy with your results....mistakes happen, learn from them and move on. Your quilts are beautiful!

straythreads said...

as my friend Bev always said no baby is going to cry over that. Your quilts are beautiful!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I can only repeat what has already been said. Take a walk, go on a day trip, find a new color, just breath.

Quilting Babcia said...

We quilters are way too hard on ourselves. When the urge comes to give up, get out one of your tops and start hand quilting it, and you'll soon feel much more relaxed, and the quilt will too. I adore that yellow quilt!

Vicki W said...

You are being way to hard on yourself. Tucks happen to everyone. Stitch the pleat down and no one will ever notice.
I know the rant made you feel better though! Ranting is good for the soul. Well, unless it becomes I habit I suppose but you don't seem the perpetual ranting type!

Pattilou said...

Hee Hee! I do feel better! I'll stitch it down, and in a few days it will probably go back into the donation pile and if they have a problem with it, then it's THEIR problem!

Thanks!

Pat

Debbie said...

Now, that tuck is not too bad....once it is wash, you can say you planned it that way. The quilt will be loved by someone and they will never know. But I agree with your rant!