Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring in Utah means Snow!


Yesterday it snowed--a lot and it was just like Christmas because we actually hadn't had any snow since then.  I felt like quilting, as snow seems to do that to me.  I pulled out a bag that had scraps from my big project last year and just played.  This is the top I have finished.  I think it will be fun to quilt.


The colors seemed a bit off and a bit blurry so I took another shot out on the front lawn with still a bit of snow left.


Well, I guess it doesn't look so "off" after all.  The batiks just seem to melt a bit into the deep purple.  I don't have a backing for this yet, so it will wait.  I have many still to quilt, not only for me, but for another.

The baby quilt I was going to make from pink and green stars turned into this.

 I almost gave up on the quilting because it wasn't as straight as I wanted it.  But, after washing it turned out fine.  I wanted a modern quilt and I adjusted the pattern a bit to keep it under 42" square.  The recipient wanted square and I'd used this pattern called Canvas before and it's a fun one to make up.  The pattern can be found here: Craftsy
Here's a bit of a close-up of the stitching.  I hope it's not too rough for a baby, but usually they are wrapped in flannel blankets at first.  I'm taking it to my chiropractor tomorrow.  I hope she likes it.  It is pink and lime!


I ran out of thread while binding another quilt, and I just got the thread from Superior Threads this morning. 

This will go to Project Linus.

I added these four blocks to my stack of blocks to go to Sunshine Yahoo Group.  This month is a "boy" theme.

So that's what I've been doing in my absence from blogging. 

Wishing you a happy Thursday!

Connecting to Whoop Whoop Fridays  and Fabric Frenzy Friday


 

4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We didn't get snow, but had an ice storm the other day. I do like that purple and great use of scraps.

Debbie said...

Wow...snow and lots of quilts! Love the purple....lots of space to quilt. Your square modern baby quilt is wonderful with all that texture.

Jasmine said...

We had snow, but it enough to stick to the grass. Love the baby quilt. Simple is super cute!

PaulaB quilts said...

Your batik quilt looks like snowy woods at dusk, just perfect. Glad to meet another Project Linus quilter, and that sure looks like a nice fast quilt pattern.